Get in touch

Job Search

Search for Teaching Jobs in England

OMG!? What does that UK acronym mean?

Starting your UK teaching adventure can be exciting, daunting, and due to the different terminology, often confusing! Whilst their education system is very similar to ours there are a lot of terms and acronyms out there that you might not have encountered before. This may help you to decipher what each common term means, and where possible, show you what the Aussie equivalent is. Soon enough you’ll be ROFLMAO with how straightforward the terms are!

Some education ones you may encounter before you head over are:

NQT: Newly Qualified Teacher
GTC: General Teaching Council of England (equivalent of the NSW & VIC Institute of Teachers and the QLD College of Teachers)
Key Stage: Primary is divided into KS1 (Kindergarten-Yr 2) and KS2 (Yr3-6); Secondary is divided into KS3 (Yr7-9) and KS4 (Yr10-11). See our previous blog about Key Stages
SEN: Special Education Needs (Special Needs)
Supply Work: Casual work/daily teaching work/CRT/Emergency teaching (eg: we have 3 days worth of supply work; I am the supply teacher for today etc)
CRB: Criminal Records Bureau in the UK (usually refers to the criminal records check you will have to do before working)
GCSE: Marks and certifications awarded to students for their results in Yr 10/11 (eg; I got a C in English, a B for PE and an A for Maths).
A-Level/Sixth Form: Refers to the optional schooling after Yr 11. Students who sit and A-Level exam do so in a Sixth Form college and this gives them extra qualifications from the GCSE. This is also a springboard to enter university.

Some other terms you may encounter in general life are:
Tube: The train system which transports millions of Londoners each week – the best way to get around! You can get around by using your Oyster card (discount travel card)
"Are you all right?" Not inquiring into your health, simply asking “How are you going?”.
Chav: A UK version of the bogan, identifiable by their matching brand-name clothing and accessories
Bunking: Students wagging class – if you hear this word when taking your roll make sure to follow up with the head of the department!
Dossing: Staying on a friend’s/mate’s /friend of a mate’s/friend of a friend of a mate’s couch when you first arrive. Dossers normally pay a nominal fee toward rent/board if staying longer than a week. Check out our previous blog on dossing


If you are looking for UK teaching jobs please click here to register with Protocol Education

Tags: Protocol Education, SEN, UK Academic Year, Teaching Agencies, Primary teaching, secondary teaching, SEN teaching, SEN jobs

Category: Teach in the UK

Share |

Back to the Blog Home Page

Comments (0)

There are no comments to show. You can add one by using the form below.

Add a Comment

Email (kept private):
Security Code: antispam
Protocol Education Blog

OCTOBER 2017 | "Your teaching agency needs to be transparent"
Jacqui is an Aussie teacher who has just returned from her 2 years in the UK. She got in touch with Mitch from the Sydney office and has been able to...
Read More

AUGUST 2017 | Aussie Dollar vs British Pound
Mitch Jones is Protocol Education’s NSW-based consultant working with Australian teachers in their move to the UK. In his latest blog he chats...
Read More

JUNE 2017 | Taking a long term approach to teaching
Alyce is an Aussie Primary teacher who took part in our September 2016 round of 'Interviews with a UK Principal.' Rather than start her role...
Read More

MAY 2017 | Been to London, Bought the T-Shirt, Back in Sydney
Brad is an Aussie teacher who has just returned to Sydney after spending nearly 2 years living and teaching with Protocol in London! Fair to say he’s...
Read More

A Teacher's Journey to London
Stephanie is a teacher originally from Canada, and in this latest blog she wants to give some advice (and hopefully inspiration) to other teachers from...
Read More